Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Magic the Gathering- Khans of Tarkir Part One



Recently I picked up two booster packs of the new Magic the Gathering set Khans of Tarkir. In the first of what I hope to be many in a series I give my impressions on the new set and what it brings to the game.




 In every set I really hope to see som great movement towards some epic cards that could change the whole game. For most of the cards that come out they don't bring something that people could use if the future. Adding Shadow to certain cards still gives me an advantage to this day, my friends and wife still have problems stopping it ( it helps being the old man playing). With the idea of Raids it can bring a new exciting and frustrating edge to gameplay.

Raids can now either punish or help a player. Depending on the card and if that player attacked either new tokens can be played or damage done to all players can happen. This may slow the game down and cause some players to just skip this set. I for one think this can help the game. Making it difficult for everyone and adding a new level of challenging game play. For most of the past sets some of the new additions have been a pain and forgotten. Raids as I would like to see should stick around for a while.


Look a foil land...BLAH

One thing I did enjoy from this purchase was the multi-colored land that came with it. For the longest time I've even waiting for a reason to use all of my multi-colored cards. The Tranquil Cove can produce either white or blue lands (Plains & Islands). The card does come into play tapped and as an added bonus the land gives players one life. Sometimes in a game of Magic it can come down to that one life.


These new lands make me happy!
In the two packs I a say I was mostly disappointed with my color an as for the whole game I was ok with what I got. I could have wished for something more but this is the frat two booster packs I bought. Now in the next few weeks I plan on using these cards and purchasing some more packs. I might even buy a fatpack, well actually I won't since I never gotten anything good from buying them other then a whole in my wallet. I can't say with certainty that this set will succeed by buying two packs. From what I do have I can say this set will bring something new to a game that needs a little life in those old bones. Follow me on Instagram and @davidyerion for more of my BS.



No comments: